Monday, December 28, 2009

Pyramids





The Pyramids in Egypt is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is as prestigious as the world famous India’s Taj Mahal and the Great Wall of China. The reason why these places are so mysterious and intriguing is because to date, no one can determine how people in the olden days built them.

Cairo is the capital of Egypt and is full of mist in the morning. We had travelled out to the pyramids early but the queue at the entrance is already swarmed with people. Due to the great mist, we were unable to see the pyramids in full view but one can still feel its magnificent presence.

We had to walk very near to the architecture before being able to see its vague outline. I stood at the north entrance of the pyramid with my compass to determine the directions and as expected, it is sitting in the South and facing the North. This year marks the 30 years milestone for the wedding anniversary with my wife. Our guide joked with us that only sincerity, which is strong as gold, can achieve such a milestone and the pyramids are the best evidence. Amused, I could not help but to lament that our relationship is simply beyond words.

Our guide mentioned that the pyramid faces off four directions, meaning that the pyramid is made of four planes, converging at the tip. I always had the impression that the pyramid has three surfaces but discovered otherwise when I opened a crystal shop in 1994. At that time, I still retained some reservations but after witnessing the pyramid in person, I was finally convinced.

Towards the North of the pyramid, there is an entrance to the tomb, whereby tickets are required. I was intrigued to explore part of the pyramid and the tombs that lie within. After all, part of my profession relates to the placement of tombs. Being a foolish tourist, I was disappointed to find that the tomb contains a narrow walkway that eventually brought me to a somewhat square room that contains one coffin. I understand from a guidebook later that tomb raiders created the path that I took to the tomb.

Nevertheless, I discovered a great secret! The caves are a natural miracle created by the mixture of deposition of volcanic lava and granite. Unfortunately, photography is not allowed and thus, I am unable to share with you here.

There are much confusions and unsolved mysteries with regards to the construction of the pyramids. It is almost impossible to imagine how people can lift a rock mountain that is tens of thousands in tons from a flat ground to build the pyramid and perhaps, it may be easier to accept the explanation of a volcanic mountain being reformed into the pyramid. Though this explanation does sound more feasible, it is still a speculation.

Moving on, there are actually three pyramids in the area but due to time constraint, we are unable to visit all. We certainly hope that there will be a chance in the future to revisit!

No comments:

Post a Comment